Thursday, May 7, 2009

good news for Sox

Sox barely ate at all, all of last week, so I took him to the vet on Tuesday and they did a full blood work-up. Of course, he has since started eating ALL of his food, so she thinks he may have just been a little under the weather. But, the bloodwork came back and she told me I could decrease his insulin dosage from 2.0 units twice a day to 1.5 units twice a day!

When he had his blood drawn he was in hour 11 of his 12 hour dose so his blood sugar should have been high (when he was diagnosed, he was around 300 at his peak), but it was only at 102 (which google tells me is at the low end of the optimal range for a diabetic animal). I'm so thrilled! It doesn't necessarily mean he'll ever be able to get off his insulin, but it does make me a little hopeful!

and on an unrelated note, my friend April went into labor this morning - 11 days early! Her water broke and she's currently at home waiting for some regular contractions, but her little boy will be here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment