Friday, February 20, 2009

driving me batty

ugh. Last night we had an unwelcome visitor in our house - a bat. Last August there was a bat in our house, we got it out and then had an exterminator come out and treat for bats. They sealed all possible entrances and put up a cone at one spot that was supposed to let the bat (or bats) out of the attic, but not back in.

Then last night, Sox got spooked and I peered toward the direction of where he'd come from and sure enough, there is another bat flying back and forth across the kitchen. I grabbed Sox and my laptop and barricaded us in the bedroom. I called my husband and told him to get home ASAP!

By the time he got home, the bat was doing laps in the family room, so Tim opened the front door and sat across the hall, hoping to see the bat make a quick exit. Well, no such luck. Apparently the bat got tired from all it's flying around, so it hid on the back of the curtain. Knowing it was there, Tim wanted to try trap it in there by balling up the curtain and tossing the whole thing outside. Well, that attempt failed and this is what we ended up with:


yes, that dark thing on the blinds is the bat. Here's a closer shot of it:


The second attempt to capture it went much better - Tim put a sheet on the floor under the window and swept/swatted the bat onto it, balled it up, and tossed it outside. I was so glad to know it was out of the house! And even though it was about 9:30pm now, we had dinner and watched our recording of House before going to bed.

Today is a new day - and we're babysitting Lucy (my parents' dog) this weekend! She's snuggled up next to me on the couch now, after spending the first hour or so here:


I felt bad and couldn't stand to hear her whining anymore, so I put Sox in the bedroom (they don't get along) and let Lucy out - she's much happier now.

No comments:

Post a Comment