Monday, September 21, 2009

Granny's Banana Bread

I went on a baking frenzy at about 6pm last night - at the end of it, we had 3 banana breads!
I brought one to work today, one is for Tim, one is for us to bring to his parents this weekend.

This recipe I got from my mom who got it from her mom (my granny). It is delicious and gets rave reviews from everyone who eats it!

ingredients
1 stick butter, softened
1¼ C sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas (here's a secret - when bananas get so ripe that they're not really good to eat, toss them in the freezer. Then, when you want to make bread, let them thaw - they look gross, but are super mushy and easy to mash into the batter.)
4 Tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1½ C flour

directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Beat together the butter and sugar
3. Stir in the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, soda, salt, and bananas
4. Stir in the flour, a little at a time
5. Grease a loaf pan (or 2 small loaf pans) and pour the batter in.
6. Bake for 60-75 minutes (time is dependent on your oven) or until a knife/toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

**DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT, open the oven until the very end of the cooking time (after 50 minutes it should be safe). Doing so could cause the bread to collapse in on itself in the middle. It will still taste the same, but it looks pretty ugly.

Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.

2 comments:

  1. Your Granny and mine must have talked, that's our recipe also! HUGE fan of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just realized that I forgot the most important ingredient! I add sour cream to make it moist. I knew it didn't look right (I posted it from memory).

    ReplyDelete