Saturday, September 25, 2010

Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

If you haven't noticed, I've been in baking mode lately.  I can't help it - fall does that to me (even though it's about 85 and humid here today).

I always bring my baked goods into the office and the other day I had a few people ask me if I baked anything with pumpkin, since it's "that time of year".  I honestly never have because I don't like pumpkin and neither does MrT.  But in response to the not-so-subtle hinting by my friend, I decided to try it this weekend.

I browsed recipe sites for a highly rated pumpkin recipe (since I won't taste-test it, I wanted to be sure I picked something that was already tried-and-true).  I found THIS recipe and decided to give it a go.

Beware, the recipe makes a LOT of batter.  I made 3 mini loaves and 18 cupcake-sized muffins.  I hope my coworkers like it because they're getting it all!



Ingredients

1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 C vegetable oil
3 C white sugar
2/3 C water 
3½ C all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground ginger

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease the pan(s) you'll be baking with or line cupcake/muffin tin with paper liners.

2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin, eggs, oil, sugar, and water.

3. In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.

4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir until well-blended.

5. Distribute batter evenly amongst the pans.  Bake until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Baking times will vary based on pans used.  The mini loaves I made took about an hour (however, I believe this is due to the fact that I used disposable foil tins - based on size I thought it would only take about 45 minutes); the muffins took 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment